North and East Ridings Directory 1840


CALVERT, Rev John        Incumbent
CRADDOCK, Tobias         Colliery Agent
DINSDALE, James          Corn Miller
OTHER, Christopher Esq.  Banker (Elm House)
ROBINSON, Jas.           Lead Mining Co. Agent
PATTERSON, Rd.           Schoolmaster & Registrar
RIDER, Joseph            Vict. (Kings Arms)
ROBINSON, William        Gentleman
STOREY, Thomas           Tallow Chandler
WILLIS, John             Blacksmith
WALKER, William          Clerk
WOOD, Hutchinson         Vict. (New Inn)
MOORE, JS. (cloggs)      Boot & Shoemaker
RAW, David                    "
ROBINSON, Charles             "
WALKER, Other                 "
CHAPMAN, Absolm          Butcher
PEACOCK, Thomas             "
BEATY, John              Farmer
HESLOP, John                "
HESPINALL, James            "
HORNE, George               "
COOPER, James            Joiner
COOPER, Joseph              "
RAW, David               Shopkeeper
ROBINSON, James             "
WALKER, Other               "
DAVEY, Christopher       Stone mason
NAYLOR, John                "
STOREY, Ralph               "

A large pleasant village on the north side of Wensleydale on an acclivity above the river Ure, 4.5 miles West of Leyburn, has in it's township and chapelry 344 souls and 2193 acres of land, mostly the property of Lord Bolton, the Lord of the Manor, but the Other, Robinson and a few other families have small estates here. Lead and Coal are ofund on the high moors on the north side of the village and on the bank of the river here is a strong and copious sulphrous spa which supplies an open bath and possesses similar properties to the celebrated Harrogate water. It has long been in high repute and if suitable accomodations were provided Redmire would soon become a popular watering place. The chapel of ease (St. Mary's) is an ancient structure and is a perpetual curacy, united with Castle Bolton in the gift of the Rector of Wensley and the incumbency of the Rev John Calvert. The free school here was founded about 1725 by the Rev Thomas Baynes, a late curate, who endowed it with land at Bentham, afterwards exchanged for an estate at Crackpot consisting of a house, 11 acres of land and 30 acres of common pasture, now enclosed. The school was built by Lord Bolton and for the endowment the master is required to teach 14 poor children of Redmire and Castle Bolton townships.

Dave Stringer-Calvert